At American Dental Excellence, we offer both Invisalign® and traditional braces at our dental clinic in Westminster. If you need to straighten your smile, both Invisalign® and braces can provide you with the results you are after, but each has its advantages and disadvantages. Your dentist can help you determine which is best for you, but in the meantime, here is some information that may help you make a decision.
Invisalign® vs. Braces Comparison
Braces have been around for centuries, but Invisalign® has only been around since 2000. With braces, small metal brackets are adhered to your teeth and tied together using rubber bands and wires. You can get braces in a wide variety of colors, whether you opt for a more discreet color that is approximately the color of your teeth, or you choose a vibrant color to show off your personality. In contrast, Invisalign® is specifically designed to be invisible. Your dentist fits you for aligner trays that are made of clear plastic, which you wear over your teeth for a more subtle teeth-straightening tool than braces. Both have their pros and cons, which we have outlined below.
- You don’t have to worry about sticky or hard foods
- Can experience discomfort when teeth move
- Must remove them before you drink or eat
- Must brush after every meal
- Better for more complex dental issues
- Because you cannot remove them, you don’t need to remember to put them back in
- Relatively easy to clean; just have to stick to a regular flossing and brushing routine
- Can cause discomfort due to the brackets and wires
- Can cause tooth discoloration
- Must avoid certain foods that are too sticky or hard
Clearly, there are advantages and disadvantages to both Invisalign® and braces. When you come into our dental clinic, we can help you determine which is the best option for you. If you decide to go with Invisalign®, there are a couple of options for you.
At American Dental Excellence, we don’t just offer Invisalign®; we are an Invisalign® Elite provider as well. As experts in the Invisalign® system, we are able to provide our patients with more than just the basic Invisalign® system. We can also provide:
- Accelerated Invisalign®: the AcceleDent System serves as a supplement to Invisalign® to speed the process of moving teeth into place. It involves applying gentle vibrations to the aligners for 20 minutes every day. This ensures that the patient does not have to wear Invisalign® nearly as long to see results.
- Invisalign® Teen: The Invisalign® Teen treatment is designed especially for the adolescent mouth and dental development, and when paired with the
- AcceleDent System, teens don’t have to wear orthodontics nearly as long.
Regardless of whether you opt for Invisalign® or braces, we can help you at our dental clinic in Westminster. We have the experience necessary to provide you with the orthodontics you need. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!